Hey Everyone I had to blog. I know I have been totally AWOL but this PhD has been so busy and now I am on strike. All the contract faculty, TAs (me), GAs and RAs are on strike. We are picketing and have been since Nov 6th. It has completely taken over my life. We are fighting for poverty-line wages, consideration for tenure track for contract faculty and many many other things that I will get into later.It is a great movement but so time consuming and stressful. I thought I had the MIA beat down but the lack of routine due to the strike has made it flare up a little. Not too bad but still....Blah Ok the reason I am so pissed off is because I was reading Lara's blog at cwazylawa.blogspot.com and she is pro prop 8. This made me really upset. I asked her to take it down, but she won't and she asked me to respect her beliefs and I can't and I need to vent about this so you are all going to have to sit here and listen to what I have to say. This was our original conversation:

Me: (it got posted as my old blog name Esperanza)

Wait a sec. You are FOR Prop 8? As in you do not support same sex marriage? What if you son is gay or transsexual? Will you disown him? Tell him "sorry you can't marry the person you love because there is this pesky definition of marriage that excludes you. Oh and Mommy voted in favor of your exclusion." What about your gay and/or lesbian friends? I know this will never happen but I would really like to see you remove the hate speech from your blog.

1:11 PM

Blogger Lara said...

Esperanza, I in no way have displayed a message of hate. If you think a link to some answers about my beliefs is a message of hate, then you are sorely mistaken. Read up on them if you are confused. I have never hated homosexuals. Rather I do not believe in the practice of homosexuality or the teaching of homosexuality in schools. I am a firm believer in the divine institution of marriage between a man and a woman. I have the right to my beliefs as well as the right to vote, as do you. I would never disown my son. NEVER. And I am confused as how you would come to that conclusion. I have never attacked a homosexual, and I never will. I have my beliefs, you have yours. And that does not mean I disrespect you, and in NO WAY does it mean I hate you. Please respect my beliefs and my right to stand up for them- especially on my own blog. I will respect yours. Now if you have something to say about those cute coats linked above, I would love to hear it. :) Have a good weekend

I am formulating my response here because she now has comment moderators on her blog: Lara, I don't even know where to start. First let's be clear about what hate speech is. Hate speech: a term for speech intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a person or group of people based on their race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, language ability, ideology, social class, occupation, appearance (height, weight, hair color, etc.), mental capacity, and any other distinction that might be considered by some as a liability. I guess it is kinda funny you assume that I am a lesbian because I stand up for same-sex rights. Second, why do you think homosexuality is wrong? And why do you believe that marriage is "the divine institution...between a man and a woman"? I clicked on that link on your blog and read some of the articles. They were appalling. and yes this is hate speech. Hate speech under the guise of free speech. You say you have a right to your beliefs, but you are reifying the concept of beliefs. No one has a RIGHT to their beliefs, you do however have a right to state them. Beliefs happen regardless of "rights". Beliefs are our reactions to our environment, not something that can be controlled by rights-based law. A law could be passed stating "No one has a right to their own beliefs" and beliefs would still occur. What you mean is that you have a right to freely state you opinions on your blog, in the street and to your friends etc. And you do. But at least be honest....your beliefs are homophobic. Homophobia creates a society where homosexuals are treated as sub-human. And while you might have a right to spout homophobic tripe all over the web that doesn't mean I have to put up with it and respect it. RESPECT you? Are you fucking kidding me? The link is called "Protect Children and Freedoms". PROTECT CHILDREN? The implication is that homosexual and transsexual people are going to HURT children. How is this not hateful???? I bet you are against same-sex adoption too aren't you? You say you do not HATE anyone. I get it. Jesus wouldn't want you to hate so you tolerate homosexuality so long as no one teaches it to your kid or dilutes your understanding of marriage. You are a good, responsible little Christian soldier absolving yourself of guilt by tolerating people in same-sex relationships and not "hating them" because they need Jesus' love too right? Especially because they need that love to overcome their homosexual lust. Am I close? I bet I am. What garbage. People in same-sex relationships are to be celebrated not tolerated by individuals, such as yourself, who solidify their identity and power by perpetuating the subjugation of homosexuals. You are actively, whether you want to admit it to yourself of not, maintaining the value laden straight/queer dichotomy. You, by saying that Queer peoples cannot get married, cannot enjoy equal state protection, are implying that Queer peoples are unequal to straight peoples. That it is okay to exclude homosexuals from certain state institutions that we as a society have created because they are not quite worthy, i.e. you are better than them. You can deny it all you want to and say you just don't agree and that it is your opinion. But your opinion is hurting people. It is contributing to a segregated society, a society that celebrates only one kind of sexual love and pathologizes all others. That is shameful. Also you don't want homosexuality taught in school. This perpetuates the pathologization of homosexuality. If children are taught about relationships from a hetero-centric position then those children who are gay/lesbian/trans or gender variant are then made to feel "abnormal". But that is the point right? Make it as hard as possible for homosexual peoples to live a fulfilling life. I assume that since you don't want homosexuality taught in school this means no sex ed about homosexual sex right? This lack of sexual education denies teenagers in same-sex relationships the life-saving information and the tools ,which sex-ed provides, to protect themselves against life threatening STIs like HIV. Or do you think that this should be taught at home? Or maybe in separate classes? Put all the straight teens in one room and all the gay teens in another room. I mean segregation seems to be your thing. I can't believe that someone would think freedom of speech is an excuse to spread propaganda that contributes to the continued oppression of same-sex couples. Aren't you embarrassed? SHAME!

20 Comments:

  1. sarah said...
    Hi Sole. Umm...yeah. I got into quite a bit of discomfort when one of my facebook friends started posting why he was pro-prop 8. I couldn't contain myself. I find it's impossible, IMPOSSIBLE, to argue with "faith" and that's why this whole thing has brought me to tears so many many times. I feel your anger, sister. Let's hope that our children never have to deal with this kind of bullshit.

    love, lulu
    Brad Frandsen said...
    You don't even know Lara... and you are being so rude and disrespectful... if you dont agree with her... fine... dont go to her blog... no one is forcing you. You cry for diversity yet you wont tolerate someone having a different opinion then you... you are ignorant and uniformed. Let a life!
    Brad Frandsen said...
    PS... you can take your aim at my blog! bradsfotopia.blogspot.com
    Soledad said...
    Ah Brad. That is a lovely Orwellian conversation stopper you have thrown up. My intolerance of intolerance makes me intolerant therefore I cannot speak about tolerance. Charming way to neutralize the very important debate on same sex marriage that I have raised. I know how you work...attack the person not the issues so that we concentrate on defending ourselves instead of the issues at hand. You know you cannot win based on your homophobic arguments so you deflect attention away from the content and onto the individual. Care to talk about the issues instead? I suspect you either agree with Lara or you have fallen victim to the myth that to embrace diversity you must be tolerant of hateful ideas, such as those expressed in prop-8.

    Let's clear that up shall we? My cry for diversity does not mean that I have to embrace or even tolerate a movement that brings religion and one particular corresponding standpoint into the state structure that in turn systematically subjugates that homosexual community- which is what the prop 8 does. But nice try.

    And your god damned right I am being rude. I am angry that people are perpetuating this kind of subjugation (big word for you sorry).

    You are right I won't tolerate homophobia. I just checked out your blog. Fucking scary brainwashing shit.
    Brad Frandsen said...
    I appreciated your humor in the remark you made about not making this about the person but about the issue and then later try to take a jab at me because you believe the language you use is so sophisticated and "elite". You assume that I must be uneducated because I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle. Believe it or not people on this planet will disagree with one another... If everyone thought like you did or thought the same thing this world would cease to innovate and progress. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Changing this for the sake of making everyone the same is dangerous at best. The majority of us Prop 8 supporters don't care if people have civil unions or have the same rights... we just want marriage kept the same. When something is valuable to someone they want to preserve it and keep the same, antique dealers will tell you that attempts to restore or improve an antique often leaves the piece damaged or worth less. I view marriage the very same way... we want to keep it and preserve it as something that is sacred. Call it something else... but we are not willing to alter what we have worked so long and hard to keep the same. Funny how America was built on people who stood up for their beliefs... you want to stand up for yours... great... yet you don't think its right for me to stand up for mine (interesting). It's my personal moral obligation to stand up for what I believe and protect those few sacred things left in this world... this world that seeks to destroy all that is good and wholesome. You will realize one day when the dust settles that there is right and wrong... and attacking someone for their faith is wrong! You have your beliefs... I have mine... and that's ok... we will see you at the ballot boxes and see who wins! Its called democracy!
    Soledad said...
    Brad said:

    "Believe it or not people on this planet will disagree with one another... If everyone thought like you did or thought the same thing this world would cease to innovate and progress. Marriage has always been between a man and a woman."

    ...has always been between a man and a woman. Who is failing to advocate for progress? I could give a shit if people disagree I DO care if the state advocates one religious and moral standpoint- one of intolerance and hate.

    Also same-sex marriage doesn't make everyone the same. What are you worried about? That if homosexuals get married it will make you gayer?
    That you need to protect your church sanctioned relationship from homosexual sex?

    Sweet Jesus don't you understand that by opposing same-sex equal rights you are subjugating people? Just admit it. You believe that those who engage in same-sex activities are inferior to you.

    Also fair enough point about the stab I took at you. It was a low blow. I won't, however, apologize because I think you are an asshole.
    Soledad said...
    Oh and you call forcing all peoples to demonstrate a permanent address democracy? You don't think this impacts things like prop-8. Don't even get met started. And I don't vote in your state, or any state. I am Canadian and we have tons of state sanctioned same-sex marriages here. Lots of state sanctioned same-sex sex too!
    Anonymous said...
    Marriage has always been between a man and a woman. Changing this for the sake of making everyone the same is dangerous at best.

    Couldn't that same logic be applied to, "but white landowning people have always been the ones to vote," or, "black South Africans have never been allowed to live in this neighborhood." Having a historical basis is a weak argument.

    And this, "...protect those few sacred things left in this world... this world that seeks to destroy all that is good and wholesome..."

    That's not an argument about a government procedure. That's a religious argument. You want a government procedure to have some relationship to your (not my) notions of religion and what you consider sacred. Why? Who cares? It's a government document. Why should my government cater to your religion? And this isn't a back-and-forth situation. I'm not saying I want the government on my side. I want it to be neutral. I want it to stay out of all bedrooms and fix the real problems in this country. You want the government to tacitly demean same sex couples by straying from that neutrality.

    And don't give me that Christian nation shit. Sure, it was founded by Christians but in the Age of the Enlightenment. The Enlightenment, which valued reason over all else. The framers of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence borrowed the thoughts and arguments from great Enlightenment philosophers like Locke and Kant. Locke, who believed precisely that we are not born with these preconceived notions (prejudices) and that we are blank slates. That is the basis for this great American experiment in democracy, not hate and exclusionism.

    Also,this sums things up nicely as well.
    Soledad said...
    Tom I assume you are addressing Brad here. In which case YEAH!!!!


    Sole
    Anonymous said...
    good work soledad.

    I started to write about how interesting it is to hear these things debated in this way. It is different here, homophobia is a more secular concern and becasue of that the fight is a different one(on the surface at least), more to do with squeamishness, machismo and a lack of imagination. But really I can't be bothered, that phrase "homosexual lifestyle" is so fucking vile, so filled with hate and stupidity as for "teaching homosexuality".... the viciousness of such a sentiment!

    Having a family built on love is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned and those who seek to deprive others of that have no right to imagine themselves experts on that which is "good and wholesome".

    love to you soledad and lulu (and, if i am correct, tom too) h.x
    Anonymous said...
    YAY SOLEDAD!

    Seriously, you rock.
    Brad Frandsen said...
    Sorry it has taken me sometime to get back to you. Tis the season! One thing I wanted to ask you was this... Why is it ok for you to have your opinion and not ok for me to have my opinion? You have no respect for my objection to the act of homosexuality. I object to it but you dont see me finding your blog and attacking you on your opinion. You have the right to your opinion and I respect that. I am on this blog responding to you in the first place because of the hateful things you said to one of my friends for having her beliefs. One more thing... homophobe is dumbest word I have ever heard of... people arent afraid of homosexuals... they just want the sin to stop being paraded in front of them. Think about it crazy!
    Esperanza Molinar said...
    Brad- I call it like I see it and I could give a shit if that makes you feel that I am not respecting your "beliefs". CLEARLY you did not read where I posted "while you might have a right to spout homophobic tripe all over the web that doesn't mean I have to put up with it and respect it. RESPECT you? Are you fucking kidding me?"

    Why do you want the state to intervene on behalf of your beliefs anyways? The state in its very nature is sinful because it is not based on "God's teachings". Isn't the state kind of a false idol? Okay now I am just teasing you.

    PRIDE week must really get to you. All that HOMOSEXUALITY just parading SINFULLY in front of you. I hate to break it to you but you lost this battle. Prop-8 might have passed but male on male anal sex and women eating each other out, not to mention all the other gender variant sex that is still happening. You lost this battle before it began. Give it up and do some charity work with your spare time or something. Oh, and your jesus freak website just doesn't help spread god's love, you are spreading hate. And I know I know the meek shall inherit the earth, I get it. By making fun of you I am securing your place in heaven. But aren't you not supposed to judge and live by example or some such shit? Who are you to tell others they are sinning? Let ye who are without sin cast the first stone right? Guess you aren't living to set such a great example eh cause the stones are just flying all over this blog. And yeah I am casting my own, but I never purported to follow the bible. Your mixed messages stress me out. And YEAH YEAH you are going to come back at me saying my cry for diversity coupled with my intolerance of your intolerance is a mixed message, but I already addressed this like a week ago so save your breath.



    Also where you calling me crazy or saying sin is crazy? Not that I mind being called crazy by the likes of you. Actually makes me feel pretty good about myself since you are such a bigot.
    Anonymous said...
    Adding to what the lovely Esperanza said, I would say that the answer to this: "Why is it ok for you to have your opinion and not ok for me to have my opinion?" is this, you are trying to get your opinion, again, your opinion, codified into a discriminatory law. If all you were doing was sitting around stewing and spewing on the Internet, that'd be fine. But you're actively trying to deny people their right to a secular institution.

    Here's what doesn't make sense about your argument Brad. The secular institution of marriage is just that, secular, it has nothing to do with you or your religion and I'm sure that in your religion someone getting married by a justice of the peace isn't really married anyway. You view marriage as a religious sacrament and there are necessary components and shit that needs to be said (usually patriarchal shit about the woman giving herself to the man, etc.) for someone to really be married in the eyes of your church. And here's the thing, none of your religious elements are currently present in the secular institution of marriage, so why do you insist that any of your religious opinions be inserted into the secular institution? It's flimsy logic. It's cherry-picking ideals.

    It's essentially saying this, "An institution I already do not recognize must be changed to more accurately, but still insufficiently, resemble something I recognize."

    The only conclusion we can draw is that you just hate. You truly believe it is a 'sin'. You honestly think some being somewhere cares where two consenting adults put their tongues or penises. Just remember what you're doing unto the least of His people yo.
    Brad Frandsen said...
    You are right... I agree with everything you said. I really look up to all you guys for your deep intelligent thoughts and insight into our world. How could I have been so closed minded to other peoples desire to live how they want to live and make this world a better place for all of us to live in. I wish everyone could have just a quarter of your capacity to love and care for people...

    Is this what you want me to say... well... its not what I think... I am going to continue to think my way and you are going to continue to think yours... I on the other hand will not go silent. I will still stand up for truth and right even when people like you say I am wrong... I like that I stress you out... it means deep down in your mess of confusion... you know I am right... and it bothers you...
    Soledad said...
    DUDE! Cheap shot. I am stressed out because you represent hateful thinking and the fact that you push bigoted public policy. Does that mean I think you are right? WTF makes no sense! That's like saying abolitionists experienced conflict with slave owners because they thought that slavery was really "right"? Or that women fought against patriarchy and experienced resulting tensions because women intrinsically knew that they were lesser beings than men. So every time I am standing up for something I am REALLY saying...I agree with the other side of this argument. Nice logic.

    Why why why???? can't you just admit that your views are exclusionary and despite your claim that you are down with the teachings of JC you are judgemental. I judge you. I freely admit and I struggle against the perpetuation of your way of thinking. I think it is sad that you are clearly bound up in certain social relations that have resulted in you being constituted as a bigoted ass. And yeah I too am bound up in my own social relations and I am sure some of them are exclusionary, but at least I am trying to recognize and change these. I am not writing to change your mind dumbass. I am writing for all of those people who experience subjugation at the hands of bigots with too much power.

    And on that note...or whatever note make in reply to this post....I am closing this discussion. BIGOTS NOT WELCOME. SHAME ON YOU. GO BACK TO YOUR BIGOT INC CHURCH. IF THERE IS THE GOD YOU SAY THERE IS S/HE IS HORRIFIED BY THE ACTS YOU MAKE IN HER/HIS NAME.
    Anonymous said...
    So, instead of engaging in any meaningful or constructive debate you're just going to say, "I am going to continue to think my way."

    Candy ass.

    If your ideas can't hold up to scrutiny don't hide behind feigned defeatism; fight like a man. Or a woman. Or a gay man or woman.
    Soledad said...
    Woot Tom!
    Feisty Frida said...
    I can't really get into this now, but I think of my great friends, 3 of them, and Big C's uncle and his partner, all of whom are gay, and can't imagine life without them, and all the love and caring they give me and our family.

    Sole, you and I are lucky to live in a world-even if it's our little world-where noone, and I mean NOONE is discriminated. The world needs more people like you and me.

    Love
    Frida
    XOXO
    Unknown said...
    Lara, thank you for the original blog.

    Without going into too much detail, I am a SOUTH AFRICAN bisexual guy living in a monogamous long term male/male relationship.

    The history of our country speaks volumes about segregation et al.

    Thank you once again!

Post a Comment